Thursday, July 20, 2006

If You're Not Part of the Solution, You're the Problem

I get it, some people don't like cops. It's some allergic reaction to authority triggered by various causes.

Ok fine whatever, so you don't like cops. Especially when they lecture you about being naughty. God knows I wanted to smack the officer who pulled me over and lectured me for running a yellow light. A YELLOW LIGHT for crying out loud. And yeah, there are a fair few rotten apples in the barrel, like doctors who let patients die, or teachers who molest students.

However, in the end everyone wants the 5-0 to show up with in a minute of calling 9-1-1. Which usually happens.

Now how would you feel if you were a police officer and you were chasing a suspect who was likely armed and when you chased this person through a party, the partygoers turn on you and beat the crap out of you.

You'd be like "W.T.F!!!?!?!"

(I know that I said that I would stop my Boston bashing yesterday, but consider this a little acid reflux. )

Seriously, this just really bothers me. I live in a great 'hood. I know my neighbors. I know that a community can get together and make little changes to improve the overall quality of life. I know that it feels great to smile at your neighbor and have them smile back. I know that even though a few people misbehaving can give a whole area of bascially good people a bad reputation.

So when people behave this badly, it makes me bonkers. The suspect was running and most people who really have nothing to hide don't bolt. So chances are the fellow had a gun. Which in Boston this summer it seems that everyone has a gun: carrying one in da hood is as de rigeur as a pair of Havaianas on Beacon Hill.

Not only that, but then he runs through a child's birthday party. In so many ways that could have ended badly. But instead the partygoers jump the officer, beat him up, and then steal his cellphone. It's really disgusting, they should all be ashamed. And barred from calling 9-1-1 for one month.

Check out Joe Fitzgerald's editorial in the Boston Herald for the complete story.

Ok NOW I am done. I SWEAH!

No comments: