Sunday, October 19, 2008

Where to go when you gotta get OUT.

Sometimes I find that I have to get out of the city. I live in a very densely populated area and every now and then hearing my neighbor "ah-choo" through the walls gets on my nerves.

A few weeks back I was invited to tour the Orchard House in Concord, one time home of Louisa May Alcott and since it involved two of my most favorite people on earth I of course said yes immediately.

The drive out to the house was unbelievably calming, there is something that makes my soul thrum to see the blue sky and orange leaves and high white clouds.

The tour was actually part of a Hood alumni event. I didn't go to Hood but both my darling friend and her mom did and since they know what a bookworm I am, thought I'd enjoy the outing.

Boy did I ever!

The little brown house in the country. I immediately wanted to move in. Little Women is one of my most favorite books and I try to read it at least once a year, usually in the winter.

I don't know what it was about this time around, but I really did not want to leave. I was ready to duck into a closet and hide myself until after hours. However I am pretty sure that our tour guide Betty would have been onto me in about one minute.

I've never wanted to go back in time as much as I did in that house at that moment.


*sigh*

After the tour we headed off to the Colonial Inn for a little alumni chit chat, a little bite of food and a glass of wine.

It was so lovely.

I love fall in New England. Sometimes it's far too easy to get swept into the tizzy of things that don't really matter that seem to take over one's life every now and then and usually by Friday. Going out into the country, or at least outside the city limits, seems to be a very good way to remedy that.

No comments: