Sunday, October 05, 2008

Wait. What?

Apparently I totally missed the news on Friday, and most of this weekend, because I just now found out that OJ Simpson was found guilty on a total of 12 charges that included armed robbery and kidnapping.

Huh.

I am surprised that he is going to jail. I fall into the category of people who think he probably killed Nicole Brown and when he was acquitted I will admit that I was sort of surprised. Only because it seemed to be a crime of passion and they seemed to have had a pretty passionate relationship and love makes people crazy and, well, we all know how that ends. Although I think there is something a little plain old crazy about OJ. Perhaps from the football, or the Naked Gun movies, or from all the models...

So when he got off on that I figured he was like one of those people like John "the Teflon Don" Gotti who can get away with that sort of thing.

However I am not so sure on this one.

I think that he is guilty of being a major macho a**hole who stormed the hotel room of a sleazy collectibles dealer trying to get his hands on stuff he considered to be his own personal, private, property.

It is certain that OJ went about getting his property back all the wrong way, and he certainly deserves punishment for what he did, because it was against the law. But now he faces the possibility of life imprisonment. Which seems a little off to me. It seems like he is actually being punished for something he was already tried and acquitted on. Which is wrong.

And now he is going to jail at least until December 5 because of what the AP describes as "a tussle between two dysfunctional middle-aged men." After that he might go to jail for a lifetime.

And while I think he is guilty of murder, there are 12 jurors out there who thought differently and I have to respect their decision, no matter how much I disagree with it.

Which is why I hope that the judge in this case hands down a reasonable sentence for the crimes that OJ was convicted on. And not on the crime he got away with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"And while I think he is guilty of murder, there are 12 jurors out there who thought differently and I have to respect their decision, no matter how much I disagree with it."

??? no...