Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Recycling - because I can & bottle

Ok so some of you may know that my one big New Year Resolution this year was to recycle and compost for one full year.

I am trying to prove that if I can recycle for one year, ANYONE can recycle!

So, I got my big shiny blue box courtesy of the city of Boston (free!) and a big black composter ($28) at the beginning of the month.

Since January 4th I have had 3 pails of compost stuff, 2 small bags of rubbish, and four bags of recycling.

The compost has gone straight into the composter that I've set up in the corner of my yard and the rubbish was picked up by the city.

But there seems to be a hiccup in the recycling program in that I can't seem to get the city to pick it up.

I've put the blue bin out on every pick up day this month (four in total!) with all my carefully separated paper, cardboard, glass, metal, and plastic bits like the dork that I am.

Only once was the bin picked up and that was only after I pestered the crap out of the sanitation department, the Mayor's Hotline, AND the recycling department.

If it is this hard for someone who WANTS to recycle then I am not surprised more people don't.


No comments: