Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fun times with music

Friday night I went to the Los Campesinos show at the Paradise. A friend asked me if I wanted to go and since I usually say 'no' to everything, I decided to start saying 'yes' more often.

Which seems to be working out well for me these days.

Anyway, I'd never heard or listened to Los Campesinos before, other than if they were played on WERS. But let me just say, Los Campesinos put on an AMAZING show. I will admit that I felt totally alien in a crowd that was made up of mostly cooky-cutter hipster lads with pouffed/shaggy hair, sideburns, scraggly beards, thin sweaters, and i-phones and hipster chickys in stripey tights, kiddie barrettes, thin sweaters, and i-phones. And I will further admit that during the soundcheck I was a little unnerved by the sight of the zylophone looking thingys.

However, once the music started... forget it. I was hooked.

The sound is hard for me to describe because I am completely unmusical. The best I can do is say that it was raucous, and delicate, and drummy, and melodious, and loud as all get out. It was a wall of noise that you could hear and understand. Which I guess is hard to explain - it's just that sometimes shows are just LOUD, you can't hear any separate sounds, just very loud noise and you leave with your ears ringing to sh*t for two days. This was loud but articulate and it was intelligent and I could still hear afterwards.

Most of the lyrics seems to be quite depressing but wrapped up in pretty paper. Except for the song below. Let me just say that this song is way, WAY, better live - but the video is very cool.

If you get a chance to see them live, I highly recommend it. And for the love of pete, leave the i-phone in your darn pocket.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it.