Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lost and Found

This is the first season that I have actually followed the show Lost on a regular basis.

And I have to say that I kind of find it addictively maddening.

People can't seem to figure out if these characters are in purgatory, in heaven, in another dimesion, or on Fantasy island (I can just see Ricardo Montalban stepping out of the jungle cooing about the fabulousness of real Corinthian leather....)

And really I cannot see where this story line is going - I have this mental image of a bunch of flipped out writers, typing away madly in some Hollywood office, hoping to figure it out themselves before the network cancels the show and forces them to end the series by claiming it was all a dream, or in the imagination of an autistic boy....

Anyway, everyone has a theory, including me. I think that the series is based on the song Lost in the Supermarket by The Clash.

See if you can follow:

"I'm all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
A guaranteed personality"

The survivors all thought they were escaping Australia - "special offer". Then they were all hiding or masking who they really are until the crash made their true personality come out "a guaranteed personality".

"I wasn't born so much as I fell out
Nobody seemed to notice me
We had a hedge back home in the suburbs
Over which I never could see"

They fell out of the sky, rescuers can't find them ("notice them") and the "hedge" is a well guarded perimeter.

"I heard the people who lived on the ceiling
Scream and fight most scarily
Hearing that noise was my first ever feeling
That's how it's been all around me"

The people on the ceiling are those weird invisible people chewing monsters that they first had to deal with that made some freaky noise.

"The kids in the halls and the pipes in the walls
Make me noises for company
Long distance callers make long distance calls
And the silence makes me lonely"

The pipes in the walls would be the hatch and the long distance caller making a long distance call is your one Naomi (I think that's her name) who parachuted in with a satellite phone.

Are you with me so far? Makes sense sort of huh.

AND there is no resolution to the song really either.

Hmmmmm....... I think I am onto something here.

No comments: