Thursday, May 15, 2008

Great Gift Idea for a Grandparent

I am 100% Grandpa is NOT going to love me more for sharing this information with you, but he recently had a case of shingles.

Which is why he is growing a beard that makes him look much younger than 92.

I mention this because he was first diagnosed with having impetigo.

Which I thought was hilarious because it was right at the same time that Amy Winehouse was running around old London town with a dose of the impetigo herself. Never would I have ever put Gramps and Amy together in the same sentence.

But what really goes to show you that doctors aren't really expecting to see shingles in 92 year olds.

However the CDC expects that anyone over 85 who has had the chicken pox has a 50% chance of getting shingles. There is now a vaccine for it and while it doesn't work 100% for everyone, it is better than not taking it. Read more about it here.

Grandpa is lucky because he was treated pretty fast once it was diagnosed as shingles. Hopefully the painful effects won't last.

And if I had known that back in December, I could have gotten him the vaccine for Christmas!

No comments: